Piloting an Alien Spaceship

Space Colony Necronom VI tentacle, Desperation Andromeda (173, 218, 261)
2008-06-10 22:24:01

“ What is this place?

I'm not sure how I got here... nor where here is... but it confuses me thoroughly. There are strange things here... things I don't have a hope of understanding. People to whom the same applies. Machines that look like they do things to people which I don't think I ever want to see. Some of them just plain scare me. Sometimes I get the feeling I'm going to die here.

It seems I'm not the only unfortunate soul to happen upon this floating piece of debris: I've seen others just as lost and confused as myself. Not a lot though. Seems that those that don't learn fast enough get picked off by the things that lurk in the shadows here. Those things are many, and the shadows more so.

Somebody... please find this... before I lose my mind...”
From a lost note card I found within the Necronom VI.
2008-01-18 04:18:26

“ NECRONOM LEXICON

--Tecora Class Freighter--
Small and agile, the characteristics of this old freigther model are quickly summarized. For normal space trade however the ships quickly became outdated due to their wastefull and unstable energy consumption. For the long deep space trips slow but stable ships have taken their place. But while the tecora class freighter should be long forgotten it has found a renaissance in recent days and is an ideal vehicle for smugglers, who need small and fast ships to quickly pass through unexpected situations and outmaneuver patrol ships. Especially slave traders have costumized this freighter for their use, even though the high energy consumption of hibernation chambers combined with the increased fuel consumption during surprising spacial phenomena like plasma winds often force the traders to drop cargo into space, its agility is still unrivaled and allows it to quickly slip into any colony.


--Doomed Ship--
Many stories are told among traders about the dangers of deep space travel. One of the most popular ones is that about the doomed ship, namely the NCS Persephone. It disapeared under mysterious circumstances without a trace while testing a new form of propulsion system that would have allowed hyper speed space travels. The official information released by the Nastrand corporation which owned the craft indicates that is has been destroyed, but nevertheless the rumor that somewhere in space it still exists has been spreading quickly. It is said that the ship has been infested by unimaginable horrors, damning its crew to drift in space for all eternity.
Most likely however, it is truly the fear of this new technology that would change every tradres whole way of life dramatically, that drives the story of the doomed ship.


-- Plasma Storm--

Plasma storms are seemingly random space phenomena that are encountered on deep space travels very frequently. The ionized gas gets caught and concentrated in one of the constantly shifting electromagnetic belts ranging through space and shifts around aggressively. It can pass into the engines of a ship where the contductive abilities lead to violent discharges that don't just increase the fuel consumption enourmously, but can be damaging to ship as well. Navigating can become extremly difficult, which is why spaceships are generally advised to avoid them. However, as avoiding such phenomena can sometimes cost a lot of time, traders often prefer to take the risk.”

This has been by far the most memorable day in SL. I stayed in the spaceship of an Alien Space Colony. They thought I was an android and my Saturn T shirt caused great acceptance. I presented myself (as an android) as knowing how to run spaceships, so I piloted theirs for quite some time. I'm planning to go back to their ship and find more about them, I can even think of other research possibilities. Both the spaceship and the interior are by far the most beautiful and well crafted things and machines I have ever seen in SL.

Here are some images:





Comments

You may be interested